Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Twix? No Thanks - I'm Praying with Honesty


Do you remember the candy bar commercial where the child is embarrassing the parents by saying inappropriate things?  It was something like, “Daddy, his nose isn’t brown.” Or to the bride “My Mommy said she can’t believe you are wearing white.” The parent quickly shoves a candy bar in their mouth, a Twix bar I think.

That commercial came to mind last night as I was reading what is quickly becoming one of my favorite Bible studies, “A Praying Life” by Paul E. Miller. It truly is changing my prayer life. As I was making notes for this devotional, I could feel God nudging me to make my prayer life like the beginning stages of writing a devotional. The beginning stages basically consist of putting every thought or idea on paper. I don’t worry about the grammar, the flow, or editing out the bad ideas. Everything goes on the paper and then I sort it out.

So many times I’ve become frustrated while praying because the distractions and concerns of the world crowd in on my thoughts. If I had been sitting there talking with my Papaw I would have simply voiced them to see what he thought. Yet for some reason when they pop into my mind during prayer I waste time wrestling with pushing them away.

In his book, Paul E. Miller explains our problem with praying as, “What’s the problem? We’re trying to be spiritual, to get it right. We know we don’t need to clean up our act in order to become a Christian, but when it comes to praying, we forget that. We, like adults, try to fix ourselves up. In contrast, Jesus wants us to come to Him like little children, just as we are.”

I believe I will challenge myself, and you, to take the Twix bar out of His little girl’s (boy’s) mouth and speak freely. Of course, I do believe in praying the Word over our lives. But much like the sorting out phase of writing, those words come after we’ve gotten it all out on the table.

Ephesians 6:18 NIV

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
Hmmm, I wonder if this can transform my prayer life from one that is always interrupted by life to a life that is always interrupted by prayer.

12 comments:

  1. What an amazing verse! "On all occasions.." Yes, we definitely do need to pray this often! Thank you for that. Nice blog, and new follower from Mom's of Faith on VB!

    Jackie
    http://sahmcity.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post. Agree completely! I like how you finished with the thought -

    " I wonder if this can transform my prayer life from one that is always interrupted by life to a life that is always interrupted by prayer"

    And to that I say "Amen!"

    Glad I stopped by from Spiritual Sundays. I'm going to take a look at that Bible Study...sounds good!

    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quoted from a Lent book I was reading on my blog this April. I think the writer had the same message as you. He said: "The facts of our life are not 'distractions'. The word distraction is from a Latin root meaning 'to draw apart' or 'drag away'. The facts of our lives are not distractions: they are the place, the only place, where we can meet God, for that is where he is with us. " Thanks for reminding me of such an important point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. We need to just talk to God like children. If our grammer isn't perfect, or if we don't get everything in the right order, He is certainly capable of "deciphering" what we mean. I haven't seen the Twix candy bar commercial or if I did I forgot it. I do like those candy bars although I haven't eaten one in years.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I pray, my mind always seems to wander in different directions. I find myself appologizing to God and then trying to focus again. Thanks to God for sending the Holy Spirit to us to decipher our prayers to God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the analogy. I had forgotten about that commercial! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your visits and comments. They have all been so encouraging!! God bless!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  8. The devil does try to get us distracted. I love your solution and will be putting it into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a wonderful devotional. I think this is so important what you have mentioned here about this book.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is VERY encouraging! I have wondered why, when I am deep in prayer, I suddenly remember that I need to get eggs and milk at the grocery! But I could have used some Twix bars when my kids learned to talk :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,

    I have visited your blog and enjoyed it very much. It has a great inspiration.

    Would you like to visit my weblog which I created in Nov 2010?

    My husband and I are Iranian and live in the UK. We love Jesus and our weblog is mostly about our Lord. Since we are Iranian we have added some Persian articles to the weblog, but you can read and watch English ones.

    Our weblog is http://creation-to-eternity.blogspot.com

    God Bless,

    Afsoon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anita,
    I love that: "I wonder if this can transform my prayer life from one that is always interrupted by life to a life that is always interrupted by prayer." Wonderful post.
    I found you via voiceBoks! I can't wait to read more about you!
    Blessings,
    ~Erin
    www.mynuggetsoftruth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete